In This Episode
I get an amazing amount of pitches from people who want to be on The Alzheimer’s Podcast or featured on the DementiaSherpa.com blog. Most of the pitches go something like this (in 6-point font, of course):
Dear Christy Turner,
I hope you are doing well. Now, allow me to explain to you what dementia is.
[Four excruciating paragraphs explaining dementia to me.]
And in case you haven’t already figured it out, let me tell you why I, Random Stranger, am totally awesome.
[A couple more excruciating paragraphs.]
My ask is that you feature me and my product on your blog and/or podcast. And Christy, if you’re reading that in a demanding tone of voice, congratulations because you’re paying attention.
PS: Failure to feature me/my product will result in several more of these emails.
So you can imagine my absolute delight when I opened an email from Mikaela Wilson, who wanted to be helpful and serve my audience. Ding! Ding! Ding! She was speaking my language right out the gate.
I got to speak to Mikaela and her business partner, Spencer Coombe, about their new book that’s full of fun things you can do with your person. But that conversation will be featured on a future episode of The Alzheimer’s Podcast because the day before we spoke, the Canadian military released a report about the absymal conditions it found in five nursing homes in Ontario.
And it just so happens that not only do Mikaela and Spencer (co-founders of Senior Support Services of Southern Ontario) have many clients who live in long-term care, but both started out working as direct care staff in long-term care as teenagers.
Lucky for us, they agreed to come back to talk about the report. The first part of that conversation is this episode, which was recorded July 14, 2020.
Mentioned in This Episode
- A favorite book from Christy’s shelf: A Deep Breath of Life: 365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living
- Article Phil references: Canada’s nursing home crisis: 81 percent of coronavirus deaths are in long-term care facilities
- Senior Support Services of Southern Ontario co-founded by Spencer Coombe and Mikaela Wilson
- Not mentioned in this episode, but totally worth checking out: Mikaela & Spencer’s new book, Any Game for Any Brain
- Complimentary Strategy Call for Dementia Care Partners
- Replay: Master Class Training: Make Your Own Luck: 8 Ways to Start Reducing Your Chances of Developing Dementia Right Now
- Replay: Master Class Training: Advance Care Planning
- Replay: Master Class Training: Creating Your Care Partnering Plan for 2020
More For Care Partners
Dementia can last 20+ years.
That's a long time to struggle with trial and error!
If you're ready to step out of overwhelm (and anxiety about the future), click the button below now to schedule your complimentary Dementia Caregiver Strategy call with Christy. (Mobile users, click HERE.)
It's time for you and your person to step into the life you deserve.
Mike Good founded The Alzheimer’s Podcast in May 2017. Christy appears as a guest in episodes 15, 19, 21, and 23-26. She became the featured expert on the show starting with episode 28 and appears in every episode after, except 56. When Mike decided to follow his bliss, Christy took over the show in January 2019.
If you have questions or comments for Phil (or me), please let us know! We love hearing from you 🙂