Be sure to check out the show notes below for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
The Alzheimer’s Podcast:
Navigating Rough Terrain with the Dementia Sherpa
Welcome to Episode 79 of The Alzheimer’s Podcast, where we’re all about bringing The Good Stuff (that’s respect, kindness, love, empathy, and compassion) for people living with dementia, their families, and the professionals who support them. I’m Christy Turner, AKA The Dementia Sherpa. I’ve enjoyed the privilege of working with over 1,500 people living with dementia and their families so far, including multiple experiences in my own family.
In the course of my career, I’ve transformed from total trainwreck on my first day as a professional, to local go-to expert, speaker, trainer, and consultant. And if I can go from scared spitless to confident care partner, you can too!
In This Episode
One of the best things about the work I do is getting to hear people’s stories. I love hearing the life lessons and insights, moments of grace, and of course the funny. This week, I’m sharing my own story. How I got into this line of work, why I do it, and how I became the Dementia Sherpa.
In this episode of Navigating Rough Terrain with the Dementia Sherpa, I give you an idea of what the show will be like going forward, and tell you what I really think about how people living with dementia are perceived, antipsychotic medications, person-centered care, and more.
Mentions & Links
- Episode 15: Learn How to Resolve Dementia “Behaviors” Without Medications
- Article: Today Is the Best Day
- Guide:How to Know When It’s Time for Memory Care
- Episode 79: Transcript
- Join the Dementia Sherpa tribe & grab your complimentary Communication Tips for Dementia Care Partners download bundle.
- Belong to a community of people who’ve been there, done that, and get it. Join the private Dementia Sherpa Facebook group Tips, Tricks, and Tools for Dementia Care Partners and/or find a support group near you.
Dementia can last for up to 20 years or more. That's a long time to fly by the seat of your pants, struggling through trial and error! If you're ready to step into the life you and your loved one deserve, schedule your complimentary Dementia Caregiver Strategy call with Christy.