Be sure to check out the show notes below for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
The Alzheimer’s Podcast:
Navigating Rough Terrain with the Dementia Sherpa
Welcome to Episode 80 of The Alzheimer’s Podcast, where we’re all about bringing The Good Stuff (that’s respect, kindness, love, empathy, and compassion) for people living with dementia, their families, and the professionals who support them. I’m Christy Turner, AKA The Dementia Sherpa. I’ve enjoyed the privilege of working with over 1,500 people living with dementia and their families so far, including multiple experiences in my own family.
In the course of my career, I’ve transformed from total trainwreck on my first day as a professional, to local go-to expert, speaker, trainer, and consultant. And if I can go from scared spitless to confident care partner, you can too!
In This Episode
One of the best things about the work I do is getting to hear people’s stories. I love hearing the life lessons and insights, moments of grace, and of course the funny. This week, I’m sharing my own story. How I got into this line of work, why I do it, and how I became the Dementia Sherpa.
In this episode of Navigating Rough Terrain with the Dementia Sherpa, I chat with Bonnie Lais, a family care partner who raised her hand when I asked for volunteers to come on the show and share their acquired wisdom.
We cover a lot of ground, from how Bonnie landed in Dementia World, to the best thing she did during the experience, who she begged for help, and how her abusive childhood prepared her for being a family care partner. Bonnie drops one golden nugget after another throughout our conversation, so I’m really excited to share part one with you.
Mentions & Links
- Episode 80: Transcript
- The importance of belonging to a community of people who understand what you’re going through. Join the private Dementia Sherpa Facebook group Tips, Tricks, and Tools for Dementia Care Partners and/or find a support group near you.
- Knowing where important documents and passwords are: MemoryBanc was invented for this very reason.
- As Bonnie says, you can learn a lot on YouTube. Head on over to the Dementia Sherpa YouTube channel for more tips and strategies.
- Just in case you need to make a different decision than Bonnie did, this complimentary guide can help: How to Know When It’s Time for Memory Care
- Join the Dementia Sherpa tribe & grab your complimentary Communication Tips for Dementia Care Partners download bundle.
- Never miss an episode! Subscribe to The Alzheimer’s Podcast.
Dementia can last for up to 20 years or more. That's a long time to fly by the seat of your pants, struggling through trial and error! If you're ready to step into the life you and your loved one deserve, schedule your complimentary Dementia Caregiver Strategy call with Christy.