In This Episode
Christy gets to talk with the extraordinarily-generous-with-her-time caregiver, author and activist Donna Thomson about a wide range of topics that affect care partners, including:
- Caregiving literacy & advocacy
- Hyper intolerance & “slices of a pie”
- The masks we wear
- The hidden opportunities in care partnering
- When your family isn’t who you think they should be
- Intentional caregiving (vs “head on fire” caregiving)
- The importance of what we focus on as care partners
- And so much more!
Donna is an exceptionally experienced care partner, having first become one as a teenager. As you’d expect, she’s developed an enormous amount of wisdom along the way.
You’ll also no doubt note the empathy and compassion that comes through loud and clear in the soothing sound of Donna’s voice.
The mother of two grown children, one of whom has severe disabilities, Donna also cared for her mother who had a diagnosis of dementia and passed away in the summer of 2018 at the age of 96.
Donna is the co-author (with Dr. Zachary White) of The Unexpected Journey of Caring: The Transformation from Loved One to Caregiver (Rowman & Littlefield, 2019) and author of The Four Walls of My Freedom: Lessons I’ve Learned From a Life of Caregiving (The House of Anansi Press, 2014). She blogs regularly at The Caregivers’ Living Room and teaches caregivers at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Donna’s first book: The Four Walls of My Freedom: Lessons I’ve Learned from a Life of Caregiving
- Dr. Zachary White’s blog: The Unprepared Caregiver: When Care Meets Love
- Podcast: The Wrinkle Project
- Episode 99: Anosognosia & The Bliss of Ignorance
- Meet Stefanie Blain-Moraes, PhD, researcher at the McGill University School of Physical & Occupational Therapy
- In Dr. Stefanie Blain-Moraes’s TEDx Talk, she speaks about her passionate interest in creating expressive communication technologies that allow individuals with severe disabilities to create meaningful interpersonal connections with their friends and family.
- Complimentary Strategy Call for Dementia Care Partners
- Replay: Master Class Training: Make Your Own Luck: 8 Ways to Start Reducing Your Chances of Developing Dementia Right Now
- Replay: Master Class Training: Advance Care Planning
- Replay: Master Class Training: Creating Your Care Partnering Plan for 2020
More For Care Partners
Dementia can last 20+ years.
That's a long time to struggle with trial and error!
If you're ready to step out of overwhelm (and anxiety about the future), click the button below now to schedule your complimentary Dementia Caregiver Strategy call with Christy. (Mobile users, click HERE.)
It's time for you and your person to step into the life you deserve.
Mike Good founded The Alzheimer’s Podcast in May 2017. Christy appears as a guest in episodes 15, 19, 21, and 23-26. She became the featured expert on the show starting with episode 28 and appears in every episode after, except 56. When Mike decided to follow his bliss, Christy took over the show in January 2019.
If you have questions or comments for Phil (or me), please let us know! We love hearing from you 🙂